- Trained and supported 76 volunteers who tutored 108 Literacy/English Language/Technology learners
- Supported 50 Non-instructional volunteers
- Generated 5,101 instructional volunteer hours plus 2,264 non-instructional hours
- Integrated technology in literacy services and delivered technology instruction to 30 adults; one obtained High School Equivalency; two obtained a driver’s license; two achieved citizenship; many entered post-secondary education/training; and many earned/retained/ improved jobs; 43 gained one or more educational grade levels.
Meaningful Volunteer Opportunities
- For 39 retirees to give to our community by serving as tutors, administrative/volunteers
- For 30 youth (ages 18-24) who served as tutors/interns and experienced civic engagement, developed workplace skills, and gained cultural competence.
LVCC’s Family Literacy/Services for Children in 2015
Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library: With books funded by the Charles R. Wood Foundation, we championed Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library program in Clinton, Essex, Franklin and Hamilton Counties.
- 2,400 children received a FREE, age-appropriate, quality book every month mailed to their homes. About 414 children have “graduated” from the program in 2015 upon reaching age 5.
- We channeled to the community $46,809 in the form of 22,642 quality children’s books
- Parents report that their children are thrilled to receive books mailed to their own name and to build their very own library. They report how they look forward to reading a new book with their child every month. What better way to boost their children’s success in school!
Two hundred and sixty-eight (243) new and ‘pre-loved’ books were distributed at community outreach events: Martin Luther King Day, Fall Into HeadStart, and Getting Ready to Learn events.
We distributed to children 400 copies of Sam the Adirondack Railroad Cat at outreach events and through local libraries. Books were donated in September 2014 by book author, Nancy Douglas and her sister, Thelma Douglas, a former LVCC tutor.